Apple & FreeBSD relationship

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Mar 9 23:31:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 02:00:37PM -0800, Nerius Landys wrote:

> This is not a technical question.
>
> Basically I have some cash sitting around.  I'm thinking of investing
> part of it with a company that I believe in.  Apple came to mind.

Don't invest your cash in a company that has reached it's peak and is
on it's way down after it's charismatic leader dies sooner rather than
later.

2nd biggest company by cap after Exxon?! Can you say "overpriced"?

> You could say that I'd like to judge Apple's moral character before
> investing money with them.  Does anyone know how Apple reciprocates
> to FreeBSD?  After all a lot of MacOSX is borrowed from FreeBSD.  I
> am not seeing Apple's name on this page:
> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml .  Are there
> other ways in which Apple might be reciprocating?

Apple produces the clusterfuck that is CUPS, I believe. They do also
produce good stuff that is bsd licensed like GCD. But even if they
produce magical pixie dust they're still overpriced.

> - Nerius

Regards,

--

 Frank