xpdf can not print via cups if started from firefox

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 8 11:05:39 UTC 2011

On 03/08/11 11:43, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> On 2011-03-08 09:38, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've got a weird problem here. Very often I download scientific papers
>> as pdf from protals and they got opened via firefox3 with the configured
>> propper utility, in this case xpdf. In such a case, printing is
>> impossible. I hit the print button, a popup shows up with the configured
>> CUPS printing queue, but hitting OK doesn't have any effect. The funny
>> thing is: when opening the same PDF (it is stored in /tmp/) with xpdf by
>> starting xpdf from a terminal, printing on the same queue works well.
>> I realized that the change of this behaviour occured a long time ago
>> when the cups printing system got an update. I never figured out what's
>> the diffrence between starting xpdf via terminal and starting via
>> firefox. My first guess was that my local ~/.xpdfrc does have effect, as
>> the right configured CUPS printing queue showed up, but even the
>> firefox-started xpdf client shows the right printing queue, so this
>> implies that xpdf also reads my ~/.xpdfrc.
>> I'm not sure what's going wrong. I have no clue what kind of paper
>> information is passed to xpdf by being called via firefox. Any help
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Oliver
>

> Have you made the printer as system default in CUPS? Then you should be
> able to "print with command" lp from xpdf.
>
> /Leslie

Yes I have. But this doesn't work anyway. With a terminal started xpdf
either each queue existent in CUPS works with an opened PDF, even the
standard 'lp' queue. But the PDF never reaches the printer when started
via firefox. When xpdf is started from inside firefox, the .xpdfrc seems
to be read since changes to the default printer queue in .xpdfrc takes
immediately effect, but hitting printing/OK never produces a result.