HAL must die!

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Tue Mar 8 03:17:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Ivan Voras wrote:

> On 06/03/2011 19:56, Lars Eighner wrote:
>> Using the -C switch with portupgrade, I am managing to turn WITH_HAL off in
>> ports that I install or upgrade. Is there a way to make this a global
>> default?
>>
>> Is there a (convenient) way to list ports that might pull in HAL without
>> having a configuration switch?
>
> Um, why exactly are so many people against HAL?

It breaks my mouse and keyboard.  I assume it would break other stuff if I
had esoteric devices.

It was born broken, and although there have been about a half-dozen
announced fixes, it always reverts to being broken in pretty much the
same way.

When I eliminate HAL and everything that depends on it, everything works.

It is just this simple:

with HAL = nothing works
without HAL = everything works

> It's the only cross-platform thing available for non-Linux systems which
> handles device enumeration, hotplugs, etc.

I'm not running a cross-platform.  I'm running FreeBSD.  There were native
FreeBSD solutions to hotplugging the devices I use before HAL.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html