python27 update

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:01:49 UTC 2011

>I am using portmaster all the time more or less without problems.
>I like to switch to portupgrade but I don't know if is good to mix them. I
>think I will wait to FreeBSD 9 and than install evrything from scratch.

You would have encountered the problem that you mentioned regardless
of whether you used portupgrade or portmaster, and the results would
have been the same.  It was a flaw in the ports tree itself, not in
the updating tool.

I think that portmaster is probably a better choice for most people,
since it implements most if not all of the features that portupgrade
does, the maintainer is more active, and it doesn't need ruby and bdb
to work, or require extra databases.  Mixing portupgrade and
portmaster shouldn't cause any problems, as long as you take care to
keep your portupgrade port and package databases up-to-date,  but it
probably isn't necessary to use both.

Whatever you decide, I urge you to take a few minutes to read the
manpage of your updating tool.  It can save you a lot of time and
frustration later.  Also, if you want to avoid problems, after major
changes to the ports tree, it is safer to wait for a few days before
updating your own ports.  Usually there are a few problems that are
uncovered and fixed after major changes are made, and it takes a few
days or a week for this to happen.

b.