kernel backtrace

Vitaly Liaschuk larinus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:02:08 UTC 2011

Hi, list!
	I have a server with mpd and freeradius. Sometimes this server
	crashing down.
# uname -a
FreeBSD billing.com 8.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Feb
	21 10:31:53 EET 2011local at localhost.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC  i386
#
	Here is a crash log.

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x28
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc08c6960
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xc6bbbbbc
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xc6bbbc18
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 12 (swi4: clock)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 4h55m10s
Physical memory: 3315 MB
Dumping 228 MB: 213 197 181 165 149 133 117 101 85 69 53 37 21 5

I want to see the backtrace, but I can not do that.

# kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.4
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
Cannot access memory at address 0x0
(kgdb) bt
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(kgdb)

So, my question is: Why I can not see a backtrace?