Question about nethack and setgid

David Demelier demelier.david at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:52:34 UTC 2011

Hello,

I don't understand how nethack can store the score in
/usr/local/lib/nethack/logfile.

the real binary is here /usr/local/lib/nethack/nethack

And the mode is

-rwxr-sr-x  1 games  games  1793635 25 Jan 2011
/usr/local/lib/nethack/nethack

So that means people in games group will run nethack as games user
(owner of file) but I'm not in games group ! and I can save the file
located in

/usr/local/lib/nethack/logfile which mode is -rw-rw-r--  games  games

I'm writing a game that will store file too, because I can't make it
works like nethack I was planning using the setuid mode but I don't like
much this ..

What am I misunderstanding?

Cheers,

--