Finish upgrading remote server without physically being there?

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Wed Mar 2 16:20:37 UTC 2011

On 3/2/11 5:15 PM, Ed Flecko wrote:
> Thanks Damien.
>
> :-)
>
> Two questions -
>
> 1.) If rebooting into single user mode isn't obviously a
> requirement...I wonder why so many tutorials, books, etc. tell you to
> do this?

Rebooting single user ensures that most daemons aren't launched, as well
as stuff related to networking and so on.

It's safer but not mandatory per se.

I've done 7.4-PRE to 8.0-REL upgrades just fine without the single user
step, AND the machine came back alive ;)

> 2.) How do I rebuild the ports?

Either you rebuild them by hand, one after another...

Or you install a port that will do this for you, like
/usr/ports/ports-mgt/portmanager/

portmanager -u -l

et voila