Opinion on using AMD Phenom II x6 1090t with Gigabyte 890BPA-UD3H and 8GB DDR-3 as a WebServer.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 30 03:19:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:47:09 -0500, Edwin L. Culp W. wrote:
>  The price difference between a minimal design and something like this
> usually not significant.  So this is sounding more and more like a go.

Allow me a short addition:

Gaming machines usually put no emphasize on energy efficiency.
This means power consumption of several hundred Watts, up to
more than 1000, is quite possible. Keep in mind that _running_
a machine also adds up to the price - see TCO. Especially CPUs
and GPU are cost-intensive, but hard disks also seem to be.

For use as a server, it's typical to assume that the machine
will run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as long as it fails.
You can easily calculate those costs and put them into relation
with older systems that "only" consume 150 Watts. :-)

But aside, I agree with the suggestion of utilizing the "95%
unused system capacity" for virtual hosts or other means. Make
the system more efficient than a light bulb. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany