Dell PowerEdge 1950 with LSI SAS1068E/aka DeLL SAS-6 HBA: howto update firmware with FreeBSD?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 29 13:23:29 UTC 2011

We run a Dell PowerEdge 1950 Server which is equipted with a LSI Logic
LSISAS1068E SAS HBA, branded as a Dell SAS-6 HBA (MPT). The firmware is
dated to 2007 and is not capable of handling hard disks larger than 2 TB.

We got now a 3 TB SATA harddrive (WD WD30EZRX) which doesn't get
recognized properly and is traeted as a 2TB disk.
I found at Dell's website a proper firmware for this type of SAS
controller, but I wasn't able to flash a new firmware (firmware found at
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&deviceid=13856&libid=46&releaseid=R197383&vercnt=3&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_1950&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true).

This fails. The windows alternative is not applicable, how should it ...
A FreeDOS solution - like LSI Logic offers - is obviously not in sight
at Dell, the offer a RedHat only solution. I tried with a FedoraLive CD
(Fedora15, 64Bit), but the process fails either with a non-found
builVer.sh-error or, when using a emergency-Linux CD like Knoppix 6.4.4
(famous in Germany), it's missing some utilities (rpm, stty or whatsoever).

So, I'm floating like a dead man in the water, having a full old 2 TB
harddrive, an exchange 3TB harddrive which is recognized as 2 TB
harddrive and no chance to update the controller's firmware.

Is anybody out here with a solution under FreeBSD?

The box is running FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE with a most recent buildworld.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

P.S. Please CC me, I'm not subscribing list "questions".