Opinion on using AMD Phenom II x6 1090t with Gigabyte 890BPA-UD3H and 8GB DDR-3 as a WebServer.

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Jun 29 13:13:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:31:05 -0500, <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> In addition to having no information on the CPU as a server lack of
> comfort with 6 cores and memory 8GB of memory that I am having a problem
> with.  I am not a gamer but I have always assumed that a gaming machine
> needs the most aggressive hardware.  I have also seen this processor
> with 12 GB rather than 8 which, in my ignorance sounds better.

I have /basically/ the same machine at home I use as my FreeBSD and
occasionally gaming machine with 12GB of RAM. It runs FreeBSD *very* well.
If you care a lot about stability though the downside is that it's not
server class hardware, no ECC RAM, etc. But for a machine with a lot of
cores and memory -- have at it!

Cheers,

Mark