Can someone please help me set up my tata-photon (huawei) modem ?

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:40:22 UTC 2011

   Hi all,
   My tata-photon (huawei) modem works painlessly on Win XP. Every
   setting is auto (including getting the nameserver). The auth protocol
   is CHAP. But when I boot into FreeBSD 8.0 (stable), and run 'ppp -auto
   pmdemand' followed by 'ping [1]www.google.com' (or yahoo or any other
   site, for that matter), I always get "Hostname lookup failure". BTW, I
   don't have an /etc/resolv.conf. I only configured ppp.conf (please see
   below for details). Can someone please help me set up the modem so
   that I can dial out and connect to the internet from my FreeBSD box ?
   Thanks in advance.
   Manish Jain
   This is my ppp.conf :
   default:
    set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
    allow users guru bourne
   # ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
    set device /dev/cuaU0
    set speed 115200
    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
    \"\" AT OK-AT-OK AT&FE0V1X1&D2&C1S0=0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40
   CONNECT"
    set timeout 180 # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
    enable dns # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)
   pmdemand:
    set phone "#777"
    set login
    set authname "internet"
    set authkey ""
    set timeout 0
    disable ipv6cp
    set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
    add default HISADDR
    accept CHAP