Installing X11 gives perl version conflict

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Fri Jun 24 23:49:14 UTC 2011

RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> If building isn't an option then it's better to stick to one
> release trees at a time.

Unfortunately, it seems that pkg_add(1) does not make that as easy
as one might prefer.  I discovered recently that, even though I am
running 8.1-RELEASE (and not 8-STABLE), "pkg_add -r" fetches from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/,
rather than from the frozen-at-release -- and thus self-consistent
-- collection in .../All/

One way around this is to set PACKAGESITE to, for example,
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/All/
(making any necessary adjustments to the mirror and release names).