Dual Boot 8.2 and Windows 7

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Fri Jun 24 19:19:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Eduardo Morras wrote:

> At 16:36 24/06/2011, doug at safeport.com wrote:
>> Well for me it all worked well for all versions of FreeBSD until Windows 7.
>> My main purpose was to document the link given to me by a friend who does
>> user support for a local college. Before Vista the boot process was pretty
>> simple, the MBR was one sector on sector 0, track 0 and it read the first
>> sector of the target partition who took it from there.
>>
>> My experience with FreeBSD 7.0 to present has been that the install does
>> not work with Windows 7. It appears that the MBR can still only have 4
>> entries. Windows 7 gets more by using extended partitions. Dell, the there
>> can be only one and let it be Windows company, uses two small partitions
>> for something. It may be that some of that underlying stuff is not needed
>> but I had enough trouble without without making changes at that level.
>
> In Vista the way that Windows start changed. The MBR points to a file inside
> the Windows partition that have the partition scheme. It's called BCD. You
> can install EasyBCD in windows (it's freeware with commercial licence) that
> permits you to start Windows and other OS inside other partitions. I use it
> in my trial? Win7/FreeBSD8.2/OpenBSD4.9 server and dual Win7/FreeBSD8.2
> laptop.
>
> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
>
>> If FreeBSD can be installed in an extended partition, that would be a very
>> useful howto.
>
> Don't know about it, perhaps using easybcd you can do that

Perhaps but I could not get FreeBSD in an extended partition. I am using easyBCD
to do the dual boot. In doing what I did I never distrubed the boot records in
the partitions. Once I got the MBR and the windows 7 second level boot code
restored, it all worked as advertised. The trick as outlined in the link to to
run the process 3 times booting after each time.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug at safeport.com