Installing X11 gives perl version conflict

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Fri Jun 24 14:58:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Dieter> Attempt to install package xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2.tbz
> Dieter> gives conflict between perl-5.10.1_3 and perl-5.12.3
> Dieter> even when installing into clean directory tree.
>
> Packages seem like a great idea when you get started, but they're all
> built with the default configs, and those don't necessarily line up.
>
> Always build from source.  Always build from source.
>
> When you installed 5.12 Perl, it put a marker in /etc/make.conf such
> that had you built the xf86-video-fbdev from source, it would have
> depended on 5.12 Perl, not the 5.10 Perl baked in to the default
> package.  Do that, and all will be well.
>
> Yes, I had to learn this the hard way a year ago, so now I pass along
> that knowledge. :)

I had the same error. Can the Make files either have this as a warning or change
the dependency to be any Perl5, or whatever the 'real' dependency is? This was
not an issue before Perl was removed from the base system and Xorg was split
into its 200 (or so) component parts.

For me using an 80MHz processor with 512MB of memory (a perfectly good
workstation BTW runs KDE-lite just fine) building is not an option. If I started
June 1, I might be done in time for the fireworks :) My solution was just to
start from scratch (about 2-3 hours).