LTO3 tape drive not detected

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 23 17:15:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:35:10 -0500, Joe in MPLS wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE running on an HP DL360 G5. I recently added
> an (HP branded) LSI Logic single channel SCSI 320 card and attached an
> HP Ultrium 920 LTO3 tape drive.
>
> The system sees the SCSI controller as mpt0, and it seems to know
> there's something at SCSI ID 4, but I get an "AutoSense Failed" for
> hba/id/lun 0:4:0 at boot and subsequent camcontrol rescans.
>
> I checked the supported hardware doc for the release but it doesn't get
> very specific about tape drives. This is my first experience with LTO3
> tape. I was hoping that I'd automagically get a /dev/sa0 device like I
> always did with my old DLT drives but it wasn't to be this time.
>
> Is there a way to make this drive work?

For better diagnostics, use the camcontrol utility, options reset,
rescan, devlist and inquiry, after the system successfully booted.
There should be a listing containing the tape drive and therefore
the device node in /dev, or a more descriptive error message if
something is wrong.

% camcontrol devlist
<SCANNER  2.02>                    at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass0)
<HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H58N 1.01>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass1)

This example shows a SCSI scanner at 0:6:0, the controller is
an Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter (PCI), driver is ahc0, as real
SCSI hardware. If you're using the ATAPICAM facility, don't
get confused with the ATAPI devices being on that list too. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany