Mozilla retires Firefox 4 from security support

Admin Cyanide admin at cyanide-studio.com
Thu Jun 23 13:28:19 UTC 2011

Le 23/06/2011 14:30, Jerry a écrit :
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:02:23 -0400
> Robert Huff articulated:
>
>> Jerry writes:
>>
>>>   > From URL:
>>>   <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217837/Mozilla_retires_Firefox_4_from_security_support>.
>>>
>>>   Obviously users of version 4 will be more or less forced to
>>>   update to version 5 which is now in the ports system. What amazes
>>>   me is how quick support was pulled from version 4.
>> 	My morning-fogged mind says Version 4 was out less than a
>> year.
> Correct! When Microsoft EOL'd a ten year old OS (XP) the wailing's from
> certain factions was deafening. Now with Mozilla EOLing a product less
> than a year old the sounds of silence seem to be propagating.
>
> The best part is that many of my "add-ons" again no longer work. From
> what I can see in the ports system, and I may be wrong, there is not an
> option to use the version 4 either although remnants of version 3x
> seem to still be available. It appears that a user is forced into
> version 5 from version 4. Wow, and people bitch about Microsoft's update
> policies.

The major difference is that when updating Microsoft's OS from a major
version to another you have to pay.
I'm not flaming, I just want to focus on the fact that this products
have not the same constraints.

What is surprising is why it is not a 4.1 release, I'm not following
Firefox development but I'm surprised how fast they've gone from a major
release to another.
What has been changed in FF 5 that needs this release number change ?

--
Bastien Semene
Administrateur Réseau&  Système

Cyanide Studio - FRANCE