ZFS on Root

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Tue Jun 21 20:16:00 UTC 2011

OK, So I got ZFS installed on this new box, I had to loose two disks due
to them being faulty, so I removed the IDE expansion card and booted
from an SD card, all went well (according to this guide ->
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror). I adjusted the
instructions there for only one disk though and will worry about adding
the others to the zpool after the fact and the system has booted on it's
own.

The problem is this, the system starts to boot but then fails to find
zfs:tank, I get dropped to the mountroot prompt with the following
advise:

Trying to mount root from zfs:tank
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following
from the loader prompt:

    set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:tank
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

Manual root filesystem specifications:
      eg: ufs:/dev/da0s1a
      eg: cd9660:/dev/acd0
      This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /

    ?               List valid disk boot devices
    <empty line>    Abort manual input

mountroot> ?

List of GEOM managed disk devices:
  ufsid/47ce961fb53808acd ufsid/47ce961fb53808ac ad6s1d ad6s1 ad7 ad6
  ad5 gptit/f6af4300-9c1a-11e0-b38d-000ea68c8b0e gpt/disk0
  gpt/f6a70bb3-9c1a-11e0-b38d-000ea68c8b0e gpt/swap0
  gpt/f6a4de0c-9c1a-11e0-b8d-000ea68c8b0e ad4p3 ad4p2 ad3p1 ad4

<Manual root File Specification>
<8 lines repeat from above>

So what did I miss? I was able to follow the instructions without fail,
the only instruction I had to do on my own was to create /tank/boot/zfs
first to copy the cpool.cache over. All the other instructions worked
with issue, the first time. This is the second time I've done this on
this box in two days, the first time I made a mistake, so I scripted the
instructions (rather crudely) to ensure I did things correctly, each
portion of the script was modified to reflected how I wanted my system
to be (mostly changing zpool as the pool name to tank. I can make the
scripts available if someone would like to look at them.