freebsd list admins?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue Jun 21 11:44:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:52:23 -0400
Robert Simmons articulated:

> Who is the admin for freebsd-quesitons and freebsd-security?  There
> seems to be a few email addresses that are subscribed to these lists
> that keep spamming it periodically, or in the case of
> freebsd-security actually don't exist and have a broken mailserver
> that sends a reponse back to the list.  The addresses don't seem to
> be changing, so would it not be easy for an admin to remove those
> addresses from the list?
>
> I've tried sending emails to postmaster at freebsd.org about it, but I
> get no response, so I figure I'm barking up the wrong tree there.

You have voiced a concern that has been voiced here several times in
the past. Unfortunately, this is an "open" list; ie, anyone subscribed
or not can post. This leads to the inevitable problems that plague this
forum. I have tried contacting the "postmaster" in the past also.
Personally, I think it would be easier to contact Jimmy Hoffa(1).
Occasionally you will see some reference to "moderators", but then
again, I have never witnessed any actual intervention on their part. Of
course, I have also seen references to Santa Clause and the Easter
Bunny although I have never personally witnessed either of them.

Now, if this forum were conducted under the same restraints that the
Postfix forums(2) adhere to, the quality of advice given and basic
overall quality of this forum would increase immeasurably.

It is my personal view that FreeBSD-Questions should be consolidated
into the chat forum. Chat forums are rarely moderated and tend to be
open to the general public. The "Questions" forum has deteriorated to
the level of SlashDot which has deteriorated to the level of a
cesspool. At least SlashDot openly admits that they allow (encourage)
"Anonymous Coward" to post.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa
(2) http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.