Two Networks on one System

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon Jun 20 22:58:57 UTC 2011

On 6/20/11 6:30 PM, Gary Gatten wrote:

> I was kinda going this route as well - policy based routing type thing, but, is there an "easier" way?

Not that I know of given a constraint of completely disjoint networks.
However, I won't be too terribly surprised if somebody comes up with
something elegant that makes us all go, "Ooooooo, what a disgustingly
neat hack."

> 1.) Temporarily enable ipforwarding - not my favorite
> 2.) Instead of a second NIC, bind the new IP to the org nic (alias).
>
> man ifconfig specifically mentions using alias during ip renumbering:

Yes, if you've got a single network and are renumbering it.  As I
understand it, the OP has 2 networks, which is an entirely different
matter.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com