Firefox 3 and 4 with NFS home directory

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Mon Jun 20 19:55:05 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I've established already that firefox35 from ports has severe bugs when $HOME is
an NFS-share (problem appears to be the "Places" SQL-Lite database in the user's
profile within their home directory).

A fairly good breakdown of the problem can be read here:
http://blogs.cs.umbc.edu/willm1/2009/04/15/firefox-3-over-nfs-still-sucks/

NOTE: The above dissection of the NFS issues was posted April 15, 2009 in
relation to Firefox-3.0.x, however remains relevant to Firefox-3.5.x.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to test Firefox 4 on NFS $HOME.

The types of issues that we ran into with Firefox 3 on NFS $HOME are:

1. URL Address bar doesn't work (keyboard input entirely ignored)
2. Bookmarks menu doesn't work
3. Going to File->Open causes app to crash

I would try this myself, but /usr/ports/www/firefox (firefox-4.0.1,1) doesn't
want to compile for me (see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-June/231080.html ).

If the above issues that are related to having $HOME be an NFS-mount have been
resolved in Firefox 4, then I'll try to work through the compiler issues that
I'm getting on FreeBSD-8.1 -- otherwise, if someone can confirm that Firefox 4
is still having issues, we won't waste our time.
--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> FUN STUFF <-
Learn about the "Geek Code": http://www.geekcode.com/

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-