how do i fsck my server?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 20 13:09:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:31:00 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	right.  i booted into single-user and fsck still gave me the NO
> 	WRITE response; then i did a
>
> 	# shutdown now to get a # prompt in single-user and got the same
> 	NO WRITE.  Only it did fix the errors.  dunno... strange.

This isn't succicient as whem going MUM -> SUM the file systems
will stay mounted. To be sure, _start_ the system in SUM 8select
the proper item from the boot menu, or use "boot -s" at the
loader prompt). In this mode, only / will be mounted ro, all
other partitions won't be mounted and can therefore be checked
AND modified.

Of course, you can also boot the system from a live system CD
and issue the fsck commands from there, using the device names
instead of the mountpoints.

After successfully repairing the partitions, they will be marked
clean. At next system startup, there won't be a long fsck run.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany