Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jun 20 06:55:49 UTC 2011

message from Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com>

> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
> To: FreeBSD <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

> Oh and just in case...I use Asterisk on FreeBSD-8.2-STABLE as my PBX for my
> private home office. I connect via SIP with a VOIP provider who provides not
> only phone service but a DID as well. I use SIP phones (actual phones, not
> software) to make my SOHO appear to be a professional corporate office with
> transfers, conference calls, Music on hold, voice mail, the works. I
> occassionally use an IAX softphone or SIP softphone program on Windows to make
> and receive calls but for the most part I use the actual phones. Several friends
> and family members have asked me to set them up similarly but unless I could
> make it totally handsfree for them there is no way it will ever work, simply
> because they are not hobbyists like me and have no desire to do anything but
> click a big button on their desktop which looks like a phone. Anything beyond
> that and you're into the realm of impossible....again.

Hello Bill,

I've read this about Asterisk with special attention and interests.

At the moment I have at home a 'normal' ISDN BRI telephone (two
D-channels) and DSL for Internet. I'm thinking in replacing the ISDN
telephone with some small FreeBSD box running Asterisk and allowing:

- SIP clients (Ekiga) from my laptop and the laptop of my wife (both
  WLAN) to do normal calls via Asterisk (at the end through the ISDN line),
  or SIP calls when I'm traveling around with my laptop/netbook;

- having 1-2 SIP phones connected via WLAN to the FreeBSD Asterisk as
  well to be always reachable (even if the laptops are down)

Maybe you have some documentation to share (off-list) about your
installation, or some hints about. Thanks in advance

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211