Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Jun 19 15:22:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:50:44 +0200
Jurgen Debo articulated:

> The fact Microsoft did buy Skype, does worry me too.
> The Skype protocol is a closed protocol.  SIP is an open standard.

Open or closed makes no relative difference to me or the majority of
users as has been demonstrated numerous time with various software
titles. The bottom line is does it work and what is the learning curve
of the product. It has been demonstrated numerous times that the
majority of end users do not want to invest large amounts of time
trying to get an application configured and up and running. With the
exception of the hobbyist, that is virtually always true.

> And about Microsoft ?  Almost EVERYTHING in hands of Microsoft
> turns to a disaster or something which does compromise security,
> privacy or whatever.  They can't make a secured OS, their servers
> are nothing compared to BSD servers, their hypervisors are sh.t as
> their messenger took ICQ from the market.  And the last one
> did piss me off, because in the old days, I got nice dates with
> academic people with ICQ.  But Messenger killed this all.

I am not sure about this ICQ rant. I never was much for IMs anyway. My
favorite was Trillian though. I have not used it in several years
though. I am still not sure about your rant regarding "messenger vs
ICQ". ICQ is certainly still in use; I just checked.

I have been in various environment and I been exposed to both Linux and
Microsoft servers. I cannot say with any certainty that BSD servers
were employed however. In any case, I have never personally experienced
any appreciable difference. That, of course, is my own personal
observation. The quality of the server is usually, at least in my own
experience, directly related to the personnel who are responsible for
its configuration and maintenance.

> My opinion, when I can get away from Microsoft, I do it.
> This company is a complete failure, and I don't belief they will
> persist to even exist in a decade due to their policies.

Please define "failure". When you control virtually 90% of the PC
market, I fail to see how you can call that a failure. They released
Kinect in advance of *.nix forcing others to play catch-up. To control
any theater of operations you must get ahead of the curve.

While hobbyists love anything not Microsoft, in the medical profession,
legal profession, etcetera, Microsoft rules. There are highly
specialized software written for their operating system that simply
does not exist anywhere else. When it comes to Office Suites, there is
nothing even remotely close to what Office 10 offers, no matter what
flavor you prefer. OO tried for over ten years and never even produced
an Office-97 clone that was anywhere as fully functional as the
prototype. I have seen grown men and women reduced to tears trying to
get OO to accomplish what MS Office could easily do. Again, this is not
a criticism but a simple statement of fact. Before anyone can seriously
make an attempt to dethrone Microsoft, they have to produce an Office
Suite that is as fully functional as and compatible with existing MS
Office products. That is just not going to happen in the foreseeable
future.

I think this tidbit is rather interesting:

The German Foreign Office first started using Linux as a server
platform in 2001 before making Linux and open source software their
default desktop choice in 2005. Most observers thought the move a
success. However, the government will now transition back to Windows
XP, to be followed by Windows 7, also dropping OpenOffice and
Thunderbird in favor of MS Office and Outlook.

Until open-source proponents stop blaming Microsoft for their problems
and rather focus on making better and easier to use applications the
demise of Microsoft is certainly not in sight. Alas, it is easier to
blame than to correct so I do not see the status quo ante changing
anytime soon.

> With Microsoft there is ALWAYS a catch.

The same can be said of any OS. For instance, with FreeBSD one catch is
that there are virtually no drivers for "N" class wireless devices even
though said devices have been available for over 5 years. That is not a
knock but rather a fact. There is ALWAYS a catch no matter what OS you
are referring to.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.