free sco unix

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jun 17 16:33:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 06:14:03AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:35:54 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed that your mail user agent is including quoted parties'
> > email addresses in the quote notification.  In the text immediately
> > following this brief paragraph, for instance, my email address was
> > included after my name.  I would appreciate it if you would configure
> > your mail user agent to no longer do this, for not only my sake but
> > that of others who would probably like to see archives that strip
> > such information from headers before publicly posting them actually
> > do some good.  When the email address also appears in the text of the
> > email because your mail user agent is adding it in, you are creating
> > a crop of victims for spam email list spiders to reap.
>
> Thanks for the advice, I've just made the setting (I'm using the
> Sylpheed MUA). I didn't pay much attention to that (although I'm aware
> of the topic) as mailing list publishing systems put in the "From:"
> datafield (directed at the list) automatically, so all the names and
> addresses are already in there.
>
> I will keep that setting as it sounds the right thing to do.  Other
> possibly needed information (like addresses) are in the mail header
> anyway.

Thank you.  I appreciate it.

> > Unlike choices in software (a matter purely of preference), I find
> > too many choices of licensing problematic.  Just one reason among
> > several for my perspective is that of hindering further advancement
> > of the state of the art, as explained here:
> >
> >     Code Reuse and Technological Advancement
> >     http://blogstrapping.com/?page=2011.060.00.28.21
>
> Interesting article, and helpful for further argumentation.  Thank you!
> Exactly my point of view. Bookmarked.

I'm glad you found it worthwhile.

> The part "LA" in EULA means "license agreement", so I assume this
> indicates that I have to agree to something, and an agreement between
> two parties is a... contract. The vendor allows me to do certain things
> with the software _if_ I agree to the terms. If I do _not_, I am not
> legally allowed to use the software, will loose warranty or am even
> forced to return the whole computer system.

The term "Agreement" in "End User License Agreement" does not actually
imply that you have explicitly agreed to anything.  It merely implies
that the guy who invented the term is conversant in the ways of inventing
terms of newspeak (q.v. 1984, by George Orwell).  It's a term of
propaganda, rather than of meaningful definition.

There's a dish that many restaurants serve involving a tortilla wrapped
around some set of common ingredients -- often involving beans, cheese,
and possibly rice and/or meat, among other things.  In the United States,
we call it a "burrito".  The fact we call it that, however, does *not*
mean it is in fact a small donkey ("burro" is "donkey" in Spanish, and
"burrito" would mean "small burro").  By the same token, tax cuts are not
subsidies, now matter how often Democrats in the US call them subsidies,
and full disclosure IT security research is not cybertarrorism, no matter
how much Republicans in the US call it cyberterrorism.

> Keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer and may therefore cultivate just one
> opinion about one topic (instead of two opinions). :-)

Same here, of course.  I'm not a lawyer, but I pay attention to the law.