Odd behaviour with "portmaster -r gnutls"

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 10:21:28 UTC 2011

From /usr/ports/UPDATING

20110605:
  AFFECTS: users of security/gnutls and any port that depends on it
  AUTHOR: novel at FreeBSD.org

  gnutls has been updated to 2.12.6.1 and all shared libraries' versions
have
  been bumped. So you need to rebuild all applications that depend on
  gnutls. Do something like:

	portupgrade -rf gnutls
	portmaster -r gnutls

"pkg_info -Rx gnutls" shows that gnutls is required by 92 of my
installed ports so before running "portmaster -a" I duly
ran "portmaster -r gnutls". This ran without any errors but only 4
ports were updated...

curlew:/root# portmaster -r gnutls

[snip]

===>>> Done displaying pkg-message files

The following actions were performed:
	Re-installation of GeoIP-1.4.7
	Upgrade of python26-2.6.6_1 to python26-2.6.7
	Upgrade of gnutls-2.8.6_2 to gnutls-2.12.6.1_1
	Upgrade of wireshark-1.4.6 to wireshark-1.4.7_1

curlew:/root#

Should I worry about this huge discrepancy? I haven't got round to
running "portmaster -a" yet and I haven't come across any problems so
far, apart from having to add an entry for libgnutls.so.40
in /etc/libmap.conf to keep cups happy.

"pkg_version -vL=" shows that 70 ports are due for updating, only some
of these depend on gnutls so even after running "portmaster -a" there
will be a considerable number of ports depending on gnutls which will
not have been updated.

--
Mike Clarke