startup postgresql 9.0.3

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 16 19:21:12 UTC 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Jeff Hamann wrote:
> I've installed and tested postgresql just fine on FreeBSD 8.2.

I gather this means running the database manually via "postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data" works normally?

> As instructed in the script, I've moved the file to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql
>
> I've added the "postgresql_enable=YES" to /etc/rc/conf.

Is /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql executable?

What does "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start" do?
(If you don't get a useful answer, running it via sh -x might be more informative.)

> Please don't respond with "Why don't you just use the ports collection?" There's reasons - like: 1) need to build from source, 3) it's for a tutorial, and 3) postgresql90-server isn't building.

You've counted to three rather oddly there.
Obviously, building from ports is building from source.

I don't see how the first "3)" is relevant, but the errors reported from the second "3)" might be more interesting.

Regard,
--
-Chuck