free sco unix

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Wed Jun 15 21:08:37 UTC 2011

* Thomas Hansen <tlh at danskdatacenter.dk> [2011-06-15 22:34:23 +0200]:

> one of my mates teacher says that unix is free and your system running
> like UnixWare / SCO UNIX and .... and that unix is free
>

> Do your BSD kernel run the same unix kernel as unixware

FreeBSD is a UNIX-like clone, which is indeed free, whereas UNIX is
still the proprietary property of AT&T/Bell Labs.

To read more on freebsd, you can go to http://www.freebsd.org as well as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD, that should give you sufficient
information to move further.

You might want to at least go read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_OpenServer to figure out where SCO UNIT
stands which is not AT&T/Bell Labs UNIX nor is it FreeBSD.