how do i fsck my server?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 20:04:45 UTC 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> can anybody clue me in on why fsck on my server [yes, of course as root]
> seem to refuse to WRITE?

Bad sectors on the hard drive are a somewhat common cause of this.

>  we had a power out locally and i caught my UPS at
> the last second.  i powered off my server to save the battery, etc, and
> a few minutes ago when i ran
>
> # fsck -y /var
>
> there were unresolved inconsistancies that fsck was not allowed to resolve.

Was /var mounted already?  You shouldn't be running fsck on a live filesystem; boot single user or from a FreeBSD CD, and run fsck that way.

> i tried to boot single use but the server (Dell 530) panicked.  so finally,
> after deliberately crashing the box three times, fsck_ufs ran.  i was able to
> ping outside.
>
> is there any way of scripting fsck *every* time i reboot this box?  i just
> want to make abs certain that the filesystems are clean.  ---didn't fscking
> used to be easier?

You can set fsck_y_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, but it shouldn't be necessary.  The system can figure out for itself whether it shutdown cleanly or whether a fsck is necessary.

Regards,
--
-Chuck