ftp installation

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Jun 11 22:59:50 UTC 2011

I have tried many of the ftp sites enumerated in sysinstall, with both
7.4-RELEASE and 8.2-RELEASE, and in all cases the installation proceeds
for a few seconds and then hangs, with the last message on the console
always being:

   DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file.

This happens with several different systems. I believe it is not any
hardware problem, since I was able to install 7.4 from NFS. (I have
unrelated problems with 8.2).

If I ftp to any of the mentioned FreeBSD ftp servers under manual control,
I have no trouble downloading ISO files. The ftp sites tried include
ftp[34567].freebsd.org and ftp10.us.freebsd.org. We have no firewall or
proxy regulating outbound connections.

Is there something off about the sysinstall ftp dialog? I don't see a way
to monitor what is happening.

Daniel Feenberg