Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 9 19:45:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:41:01PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:41:01 -0600
> From: Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com>
> Subject: Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>
> Cc:
>
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:05:19AM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:
> > Quoth Chad Perrin on Wednesday, 08 June 2011:
> > >
> > > I think I've just had ports die one by one on a switch until it no longer
> > > worked.  I don't think I've ever had the whole thing go poof for no
> > > evident reason.
> >
> > I have, twice.  Both times it was a Linksys switch, too.  Just suddenly,
> > no network.  After the second one, I decided to switch (har) to a Netgear
> > GS116.  Haven't had any trouble with it so far (knocks on head), but I've
> > only had it about a year.
>
> I've been a little leery of Netgear switches after that little episode at
> the colocation facility where the BigIron switch was taken down by the
> Netgear's freak-out while unplugging the fiber optic line, but in truth I
> don't have enough experience with Netgear to know whether that was just
> some kind of bizarre one-time deal or a problem with Netgear.

	Still, given what's been posted about al various types of
	switches, it makes sense to be a bit wary of certain
	manufacturers.  Most of you guys earn your bread and butter with
	these sorts of things, so the fewer messups, the better.
	--I had a buddy drive down to where they sell used or cheap
	hardware.  I have 0.00 idea how well my new switch will do.
	Even if I had a detailed schematics sheet, there are other
	complexities.  Components, production, Zeus-knows.

	live 'n' learn.

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org