Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 9 19:26:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:08:12PM -0600, Modulok wrote:
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:08:12 -0600
> From: Modulok <modulok at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>
>
> >> But I have a general question: have any of
> >> you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
> >> hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!  It is solid-state.
>
> I've had a Linksys switch crap out. I've also had a Netgear switch die. In
> fact, there were three Netgear switches that died within a few months of each
> other. At first they would simply lock up at random. After that they didn't
> work at all. We later discovered it was a capacitor problem. (Google 'capacitor
> plague'.) We replaced it with a HP ProCurve switch a few years ago and it has
> been rock solid ever since. My only complaint is the proCurve has a very
> inaccurate internal clock, but that is easily remedied by configuring ntpd on
> it. So yeah, even solid state stuff can die!
>
> -Modulok-

	Don't we have a "bad-hardware page" somewhere?  If not, Linksys,
	Netgear, and ProCurve switches should all be flagged.  The new
	.LT. $20 LG 8-porter [[8-holer? for those from a farming bg, ;)]]
	um, sorry. I will keep track of how well my LG 8-port switch
	does.  If it fmesses up sooner than three years, I will let
	folks know.

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org