Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 9 18:58:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:31:30AM +0300, Theodor Ciobanu wrote:
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:31:30 +0300
> From: Theodor Ciobanu <thciobanu at nth.ro>
> Subject: Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 22:21:13 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	I figured, hey, solid- state will work forever and 20 years,
> > 	whichever comes first.  ...
>
> Unfortunately, from experience, no moving parts (if that's what you
> mean my solid-state; if not, disregard the rest of this mail :) )
> doesn't equal non-failure. Just a bit less likely to fail. PSUs still
> die on you, capacitors still "blow up", microchips still get fried if
> not properly cooled, flash memory "wears out" etc.
>
> I've had all sorts of switches die on me in strage ways, a couple of
> them the same way it happened to you (they suddenly refused to switch
> packets).
>
> Currently I'm in the middle of replacing three ProCurve switches
> (oldest one bought within a year) because the NVRAM became read-only
> all of a sudden. I really hope the service guys will be able to tell me
> what happened (if it was an environment issue, firmware bug, a bad
> batch of chips...).

	Jeez!   I'm going to save this mail in my ~/warning.info file.
	[They say you can't learn from others' experiences, but in some
	cases, like your note above, it is possible; thanks for your data
	points.]  If nothing ever wore out, where would our global
	consumer-society be!

	I'm planning on upgrading my harddrive in a year or so.  I was
	hoping for the SSD to be further along... .   Maybe I'll shoot
	for 2015.

	Luck+ with your NVRAM problem.  never heard of that one... .

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org