Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 9 18:33:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 11:34:30PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 23:34:30 -0600
> From: Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com>
> Subject: Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 10:21:13PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> > > Ditto.  Most recently a Cisco switch had a rather useful port go
> > > into a really weird state that didn't really look broken but bits
> > > just...weren't....flowing.  Took a while, and a lot of poking at the
> > > server in question, before we looked at each other and said, "Wait,
> > > we've been assuming the switch works, what if it isn't."
> >
> > 	Hm.  WEll, I suppose stranger things have happened.  If Chad has
> > 	had his switch drop connections one-by-one---well, news to me!
> > 	I figured, hey, solid- state will work forever and 20 years,
> > 	whichever comes first.  ...
>
> I've had it happen with no fewer than three switches.  I've also seen an
> "enterprise" class Netgear switch issue a "death scream" of some sort
> over the network at the moment the fiber optic cable was removed from it,
> crashing the BigIron switch that ran the data center.
>
> . . . but Cisco switches are overpriced crap.  We were disconnecting the
> Netgear to replace it with a Cisco that offered a lot more functionality,
> and administration turned out to be a fucking nightmare with that thing.
> It's like replacing Postfix with MS Exchange because you want integrated
> calendaring and all the other crap in the BusinessWeek full-page ad, then
> finding out that you basically need a full-time employee just to manage
> that one server.

	LOL, man.  But then, your troubles were at work, right?  I mean
	somewhere that has dozens or more people, users/computers going
	thru the switch [?]  Years ago I had as many a 6
	computers--including my daughter's ancient W2K on a Kayak and
	wife's work laptop and my several tower and laptops going thru
	the 16-porter.  *Still*, I don't care, the daamn thing should
	have lasted longer than it did.

	The LG is tiny and probably cutting-edge.  And I'm down to two
	computers.  Server, desktop, and firewall.  5250DN printer.  So
	4 things.  ASAP, I will replace the computer that runs pfSense
	with a tiny kit that sips 4w.  So doing my best to green up
	things.

> > > BTW, Gary, Linksys=Cisco is pretty much just a marketing thing and
> > > not a technology thing.
> >
> > 	Sure.  But I've had luck++ with LinkSys for years, even before
> > 	Cisco bought them out.  --My new switch is an LG.  See what
> > 	happens.  ... .
>
> In my (limited) experience, Linksys actually got more annoying after
> Cisco bought out the company.

	[?]  I ferget what all i bought that was Lonksys--prior to the
	buyout--but they were all fairly cheap and reliable.  Maybe
	Cicso had some of the engineers do 70-hour weeks.  Sure wouldn't
	be the first company.  anyhow, at least next time I won't spent 5
	days in the rough.

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org