Virtualbox on 8.2 64-bit (cont)

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Thu Jun 9 13:49:40 UTC 2011

On 6/6/11 8:39 PM, Mario Lobo wrote:
> On Monday 06 June 2011 17:56:53 Rob wrote:
>> I was attempting to install virtualbox on my 8.2-p2 64-bit system this
>> weekend, and hit a rather curious situation.  The pre-packaged version
>> of virtualbox retrievable by pkg_add is 3.2.12 (which looks in
>> ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release).  Poking around on the ftp server, I
>> see that packages-8.1-release also has a 3.x version, but
>> packages-8-stable has the latest 4.0.8.
>>
>> I went to look in ports, which contains 4.0.8, and build it myself but I
>> got an error saying I need to have the 32-bit libraries installed in
>> order to build virtualbox.
>>
>> So, my question is 2-fold:
>> 1) What is the reason the 64-bit pre-packaged version of virtualbox is
>> still at the 3.x version?  Would there be a problem with installing the
>> packages (virtualbox and kernel module) from packages-8-stable?
>>
>> 2) How do I build virtualbox 4.0.8 on a 64-bit system w/o the 32-bit
>> libs.  Is that possible?  Searching around has produced old e-mail
>> threads indicating this was a problem as of 2 or so years ago with the
>> 3.x release.  If it's not possible to build w/o the 32-bit libs, what do
>> I need to install?
>>
>> Rob
>

> You need to rebuild your kernel with
>

> options		COMPAT_FREEBSD32	# Compatible with i386 binaries
>

> included.
>
> And as per the port's error message:
>
> cd /usr/src; make build32 install32; /etc/rc.d/ldconfig restart

I noticed that when I tried to build the ports, but I don't have
anything in /usr/src and no information was given as to what
packages/src I needed to install.  I'd like to avoid diverging from the
stock release kernel for upgrade simplicity.  What exactly does that do?
  Will it introduce upgrade complexity (ie will I have to upgrade these
libs before I upgrade the kernel or some such)?

Rob