Sorry. Numpty alert! FreeBSD Jails... Help?

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 12:53:46 UTC 2011

On 7 Jun 2011 at 12:10, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Dave wrote:
> > For whatever reason, I can't get my head round how "Exactly" to
> > create and use a jail, for a small webserver (Hiawatha) on FreeBSD
> > V8.x
>
> Did you start with the Handbook?
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-build.html

Yes, I have been there many times.  It must be me, because I do not find
it much if any help.   "Cant see the wood for all the trees" or
something.

Like I said, the handbook  is a good "Reference", but not a "How To".

Plus, once I've gone and clicked on a few of the refereal links, it's way
too easy to loose the plot, or ones place in the overall scheme of
things..

> You might also consider sysutils/ezjail; see:
>
>   http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/ezjail
>
> [ ... ]
> > I have (aledgedly) downloaded the Sys sources, and Ports.   At least
> > it sat there for ages after fumbling arround the sysinstall menu
> > system (whoever designed that should be forced to use it!  It's
> > behaviour is apalling, flitting from one context to another with no
> > warning, in a way such that you can't see what you've selected,
> > without affecting the selection, or something else..)
> >
> > Anyway, trying to follow various instructions I found, and those
> > pointed out to me by other helpful souls here (thanks Kaya and
> > Peter.)  But Whatever I do, I get a "Don't know how to build world.
> > Stop" error.
> >
> > I am logged in as root, and AFIK have downloaded all the sys and
> > ports sources..   How do I confirm that, are there trace logs kept
> > somewhere?
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading.html
>    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html

As Andy and Kaya pointed out, I was missing the Base sources.  As at some
point, while fighting with the sysinstall menu system, the Base selection
got un-selected.

I think I have them now, but have not yet re-tried a build or make.

> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

Thanks.