MySQL update

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:37:43 UTC 2011

On 7 June 2011 12:56, Glenn McCalley <glenn at mail.bnetmd.net> wrote:
> Trying to update MySQL from 4.1 to 5.5.
> Updating mysql-client first.
> Make works great, but make install refuses to install saying 5.5 conflicts
> with 4.1, run
> pkg_delete for 4.1.
> pkg_delete for 4.1 refuses to deinstall as all the php52 packages
> (extensions, mysql, mysqli, pdo_mysql etc.) depend on mysql 4.1.
>
> Question:  Do I have to deinstall everything, and then put it all back
> together, or can I force the mysql 5.5 client and 5.5 server to install?

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't test these, sorry.

Firstly, get portmaster:

# pkg_add -r portmaster

Then read the manpage:

% man portmaster

Try something like:

# portmaster -o databases/mysql55-client mysql-client

# portmaster -o databases/mysql55-server mysql-server

Then, because you haven't read the manpage you'll have to confirm
everything. Read the manpage!

If it doesn't work (because I made a mistake with the -o syntax), read
the manpage and then let us have the output.

Chris