Virtualbox on 8.2 64-bit

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Mon Jun 6 20:56:55 UTC 2011

I was attempting to install virtualbox on my 8.2-p2 64-bit system this
weekend, and hit a rather curious situation.  The pre-packaged version
of virtualbox retrievable by pkg_add is 3.2.12 (which looks in
ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release).  Poking around on the ftp server, I
see that packages-8.1-release also has a 3.x version, but
packages-8-stable has the latest 4.0.8.

I went to look in ports, which contains 4.0.8, and build it myself but I
got an error saying I need to have the 32-bit libraries installed in
order to build virtualbox.

So, my question is 2-fold:
1) What is the reason the 64-bit pre-packaged version of virtualbox is
still at the 3.x version?  Would there be a problem with installing the
packages (virtualbox and kernel module) from packages-8-stable?

2) How do I build virtualbox 4.0.8 on a 64-bit system w/o the 32-bit
libs.  Is that possible?  Searching around has produced old e-mail
threads indicating this was a problem as of 2 or so years ago with the
3.x release.  If it's not possible to build w/o the 32-bit libs, what do
I need to install?

Rob