Partitioning with gpart or old style slices?

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Jun 5 04:40:29 UTC 2011

El día Saturday, June 04, 2011 a las 08:43:37PM -0600, Warren Block escribió:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Robert Simmons wrote:
>
> >> Do I need kernel modules not in the generic kernel or create extra boot
> >> partition?
> >
> > If you use it to make GPT partitions, you will need a freebsd-boot
> > partition with the proper bootcode for what you want to do.  If you
> > search this mailing list's archive, I've posted basic instructions for
> > gpart/GPT partitioning recently, perhaps there needs to be a section
> > added to Handbook 18.3.2 describing the basics.  Unfortunately, the
> > only mention in the handbook is a link to the man page in section
> > 18.3.
>
> There's a sample in the second half of my disk setup article:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Since some time I'm as well using gpart(8) to setup new systems with the
following sequence:

# gpart create -s mbr ad4                 # Init the disk with an MBR
# gpart add -t freebsd ad4                # Create a BSD container
# gpart create -s bsd ad4s1               # Init with a BSD scheme
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -s 1G ad4s1   # 1GB for /
# gpart add -t freebsd-swap -s 2G ad4s1   # 2GB for swap
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -s 2G ad4s1   # 2GB for /var
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -s 1G ad4s1   # 1GB for /tmp
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs ad4s1          # all rest for /usr
# gpart set -a active -i 1 ad4

But the result is not ready for boot after install the kernel and
system; I allways have to go again with the sysinstall(8) tool to set
the 'A' flag; don't know what I'm missing (and the man page is not very
instructive on this); thanks

PS: next time will try the example of your page, Warren; thx

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211