Strange system lockups - kernel saying disk error

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 18:35:14 UTC 2011

[...]

> Hmmm  Hard drives do not like heat!   Check the PSU voltages with a
> meter, for accuracy and ripple.  Failing SMPS's can do all sorts of odd
> things.
>
> Capacitor problems.  Been there done that.  They can be changed for very
> low cost, other than your time.
>
> DaveB
>
> You might guess by know, I know far more about hardware than I do about
> software, but for the latter to run well, the former must be good.

Many thanks Dave for all the suggestions!!!

To be honest I think the drives are fine but the system is just soooo
old including the IDE drives.

I mean if I get a SATA/IDE USB adapter I should be able to backup the
drives to the new DAS system I will have in place shortly since I am
much more in favor of running Nexenta Core 3 OS with ZFS spanning the
16x drives meaning a total of 36TB with 2 internal drives used for
logging and caching.

Then this system will be obsolete. However, I will keep your suggestion
of using *spinwrite* in mind next time I encounter issues!

BTW I respect your H/W knowledge that's quite in deep :-) thank you for
your insight.

<just an observation demon.co.uk :-) used to be my old ISP til I went
with Pipex which is now bust, then I moved out of the UK and now
everything is roasting hot>

Best regards,

Kaya