Where's my disk?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jun 4 08:48:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 10:31:18 +0200, Erik Nørgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org> wrote:
> The first problem is that I have no idea how my disk will be recognized,
> now the root partition is on /dev/ad6s1a.

A good approach is to apply a label or use the UFSID of
the partitions (which don't depend on controller position)
instead of the device names.

> The second problem is that the server is headless. I pretty much have to
> guess and remember. I have no way of knowing if a command was successful.

Maybe you have the chance to prepare access with a serial
terminal (real one or per terminal emulator)?

> oh, and the third problem is that this new one uses a USB keyboard and I
> only have a PS2 keyboard.

The kernel will detect it and attach it to the ukbd driver,
together with the kbdmuxer you should be able to just use
it, even if an AT style PS/2 keyboard interface is present
on the system (but without the possibility to connect a
keyboard).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany