Build failure /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3 on amd64

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Jun 2 10:58:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:22:50 -0500
Michael D. Norwick <mnorwick at centurytel.net> articulated:

> Good Day;
>
> It appears that I cannot build openoffice.org-3 from ports due to an
> error similar to
> this;
>
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/OpenOffice-3-2-fails-to-build-on-FreeBSD-8-0-STABLE-amd64-td3873768.html
>
> 1 module(s):
>           nss
> need(s) *to* be rebuilt
>
> Reason(s):
>
> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
> /usr/*ports*/editors/openoffice.org-3/work/OOO320_m12/nss/
>
> Attention: if you *build* and deliver *the* above module(s) you may
> prolongue your *the* *build* issuing command "*build* --*from* nss"
>
> and ...
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.openoffice/2805
>
> 1 module(s):
>          instsetoo_native
> need(s) to be rebuilt
>
> Reason(s):
>
> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
> /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3/work
> /OOO330_m20/instsetoo_native/util
>
> Attention: if you fix the errors in above module(s) you may prolongue
> your the build issuing command:
>
>          build --from instsetoo_native
>
> ***** Error code 1
>
> I am sorry that I cannot give you the exact error message because I
> did 'make clean' in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3 during my
> troubleshooting.  Google produced the above hits and they are the
> same type of module build error I am seeing.
> My build error is in module moz.
>
> #uname -a
> 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD #0 r21908M:  Wed Mar 2 08:29:52 CET 2011
> root at www4:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
>
> The kernel, system and userland are from binaries downloaded from
> ftp.freebsd.org on 05/29/2011.  portsnap fetch/extract on 05/30/2011.
>
> I have made no adjustments to /etc/make.conf.  Reading
> /usr/ports/UPDATING back to 20100617 yields no clues.
>
> I am downloading the package from
> http://files.bsdroot.lv/my/FreeBSD/office-amd64/ right now.  I would
> like to know if something is amiss with dependencies on amd64.  Or,
> should I just forget building from source for now?

Maybe it is time to consider using a different product. From,
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/oracle-proposes-openofficeorg-apache-incubato>
Oracle proposes OpenOffice.org to Apache Incubator. OO was never more
than a poor clone of MS Office 97 anyway. LibreOffice is a possibility.

Arguably the biggest additions to Microsoft Office in recent years have
been OneNote, the fantastically useful note taking application, and
SharePoint Workspace which allows collaborative working.

Sadly, there's just nothing like either in LibreOffice 3.3. It's a
release that would have been stunning in 2000, but is now slightly
anachronistic and dull. However; depending on your individual needs, it
might just fit the bill for you. Plus, it is in the ports system:

	Port:   libreoffice-3.3.2
	Info:   Full integrated office productivity suite

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.