src upgrading jails (no ezjail, no "service" jails)

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 03:29:17 UTC 2011

I have 4 jails that are running 8.2-RELEASE that I would like to upgrade.

The host system, which was also running 8.2-RELEASE, has been
successfully upgraded to 8.2-p2. I have /usr/src ready with the new
world and new kernel.

I did not create the jails using ezjails, so I cannot use that utility
to upgrade it.

I did not create the jails using the "template" method described in
Handbook (section 15.6.1.2), so the method recommended to upgrade
them, i.e.:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html#JAILS-SERVICE-JAILS-UPGRADING

would not work for me.

What is the proper way for me to upgrade these jails?

thanks,
Alex