can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 31 05:36:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 08:00:25PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I have been using TeX for a while and I have never had to set up
> anthing like this :(  I had used MikTeX in winblow$ and TeTeX in linux
> distros and FreeBSD 5.3/FreeBSD6.2, and I had never had to mess with
> TDS.
>
> This is what I always did, I tried to compile a tex project and it
> failed, I looked at which *.sty file was needed and I downloaded it
> from CTTAN or off another computer that had it and put it directly on
> the folder that I was working on.  This had always worked for me.

It works. But if you want to use that style file in more than one directory,
it gets tedious.

> On TeXlive installations(with full TeXLive 20XY installations), I have
> not had to hunt down *.sty files, except of course that big tikz
> hungry trigbook package:
>
> http://media.texample.net/pgf/builds/pgfCVS2010-09-28_TDS.zip
>
> I downloaded it, and did not know what to do with it :(  Not even with
> the full TeXLive 2010 package installed I could get that trigbook
> going :(  [compiled except the tikz stuff ]

If you are using TeXLive, first check if a TeXLive package for what you want
exists. First tell tlmgr(1) to use a CTAN mirror:

    tlmgr option repository http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet

Then list all packages available:

    tlmgr list|less

The packages you have installed are prefixed with an 'i'.

> Am taking a look at TDS, but still confused :(

Make a texmf directory in your $HOME. This is searched by default in TeXLive.
See /usr/local/texlive/<YEAR>/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Just unzip pgfCVS2010-09-28_TDS.zip in ~/texmf, and run mktexlsr afterwards.

Roland