can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Jul 30 22:42:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 03:38:09PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 03:22:46PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >> Here's another book with source code, and even with full texlive can't
> >> get it to compile properly :(
> >>
> >> http://www.mecmath.net/trig/
> >
> > This took some time. I had to update nomencl:
> > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/nomencl/
> >
> > and install these under $HOME/texmf:
> >
> > 1. bbding: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/bbding
> >
> > 2. dingbat: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/dingbat
> >
> > 3. phaistos: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/archaic/phaistos
> >
> > 4. shadethm: http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/shadethm/
> >
> > 5. fouriernc: http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/fonts/fouriernc/
> >
> > 6. fourier: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/fourier-GUT/
> >
> > 7. bera: http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/bera/
> >
> > (note there is also bera at http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/bera/,
> > but it seems to be lacking several *sty files)
> >
> > 8. tikz: http://www.texample.net/tikz/builds/
> >
> > (I used the latest distro:
> > ?http://media.texample.net/pgf/builds/pgfCVS2010-09-28_TDS.zip )
> >

> > I'll talk to hrs@ about the way forward for these.
> >
> > I'll look at your other book later.
> >
> > --
>
> Anton,
>
> I got the files and included them in the trigbook-src-1.1 directory
> and it compiles, but outputs lots of errors:
>
> Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless \textfont 2
> and \scriptfont 2 and \scriptscriptfont 2 have all
> the \fontdimen values needed in math symbol fonts.
>
> ! Math formula deleted: Insufficient symbol fonts.
> \mathsm at sh #1#2->\setbox \z@ \hbox {$\m at th #1{#2}$
>                                                   }{}\finsm at sh
> l.2118 ...arrow{OB}$. The ray $\overrightarrow{OA}
>                                                   $ is called the
> (That makes 100 errors; please try again.)
> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
>  21599 strings out of 94501
>  380198 string characters out of 1174996
>  464875 words of memory out of 1000000
>  24221 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+100000
>  87827 words of font info for 139 fonts, out of 500000 for 2000
>  580 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
>  69i,20n,379p,421b,1233s stack positions out of 5000i,2500n,5000p,300000b,25000s
>
> Output written on trigbook.dvi (31 pages, 344316 bytes).
>
> > and install these under $HOME/texmf:
>
> Which is this directory?

I assumed you know.

If you've got the full teTeX installation,
start with

% texdoc tds

tds (TDS) stands for Tex Directory Structure.
This is a sort of a standard on how tex
tree should be organised. teTeX tree
adheres to TDS convention.

texdoc(1) is incredibly useful, give it a go.

The TDS convention allow for several complementary
trees. So teTeX tree, by default, is installed
under /usr/local/share, see e.g.
/usr/ports/print/teTeX-base/Makefile:

TEXMFDIR=       share/texmf
TEXMFDISTDIR=   share/texmf-dist
TEXMFCONFIGDIR= share/texmf-config
TEXMFLOCALDIR=  share/texmf-local

Basically, the TDS tree is where latex
will look for packages, fonts, etc.

In addition, by default, latex (or whatever
your invocation is) will look in user's
local TDS tree, which is under $HOME/texmf.

Here's a small example:

BUZI> ls -alR $HOME/texmf
total 12
drwx------   3 mexas  wheel   512 Mar 23  2006 .
drwx------  28 mexas  wheel  2048 Jul 30 23:15 ..
drwx------   3 mexas  wheel   512 Mar 23  2006 bibtex

/home/mexas/texmf/bibtex:
total 12
drwx------  3 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 .
drwx------  3 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 ..
drwx------  2 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 bst

/home/mexas/texmf/bibtex/bst:
total 60
drwx------  2 mexas  wheel    512 Mar 23  2006 .
drwx------  3 mexas  wheel    512 Mar 23  2006 ..
-rw-------  1 mexas  wheel  25593 Mar 23  2006 jmr.bst
BUZI>

For this book I ended up with something like this:

/home/mexas/texmf
   |-doc
   |---fonts
   |-----bera