printing to a HP Deskjet 812C printer

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:57:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:05:12 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> @ all,
>>
>> I restarted machine and I can print from command line :)
>>
>> [olivares at quadcore ~/Documents]$ cat Document1.txt |  lpr -P Deskjet
>> [olivares at quadcore ~/Documents]$ lpq -a
>> Deskjet:
>> Deskjet is ready and printing
>> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
>> active olivares   2    (standard input)                      10405 bytes
>>
>> [olivares at quadcore ~/Documents]$
>>
>> Now how do I configure apps like Firefox, evince, LibreOffice to print?
>
> No need to do that. Basically, the default options
> should be fine. However, _some_ programs require you
> to set paper format or margins.
>
> For actual _printing_, there is no need for any
> configuration. Programs will address the default
> printing queue (lp, or whatever $PRINTER says).
>
> If your printer is "Deskjet", add
>
>        setenv PRINTER Deskjet
>
> to /etc/csh.cshrc for systemwide use (all users),
> or whatever your default shell is. You can also
> use login.conf to set this environmental variable.
>
> I suggest to do so because if _not_ done, you'd
> have to add "-P Deskjet" in too many places. :-)
>

> --

Polytropon,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I am using bash as my shell.  I have a
file ~/.bashrc with command in there and I get:

========================
bash: setenv: command not found

========================

Contents of ~/.bashrc are as follows:

[olivares at quadcore /usr/home/olivares]$ cat .bashrc
# User specific environment and startup programs
setxkbmap -option compose:ralt &
setenv PRINTER Deskjet &

Thanks for the suggestion & hope to get it working :)

Regards,

Antonio