SOLVED! Re: printing to a HP Deskjet 812C printer

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:37:33 UTC 2011

>> I will be patient and try some things out then report back.  I
>> appreciate the help and if I can't find a solution, I will take the
>> plunge :) and hopefully not fail.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antonio
>>

> If you do decide to take this route, it's not that hard to recompile a kernel.
>
> # csup -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org -L2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>
> Copy your kernconf, say COFFIN, to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ if you are
> on 32bit or to /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/ if on amd64.
> The file could be just the following (just the GENERIC kernel,
> slightly modified):
> --- cut ---
> include         GENERIC
>
> ident           COFFIN
>
> # Remove legacy support
> nocpu           I486_CPU
> nocpu           I586_CPU
>
> # HPLIP can't work whithout this
> nodevice        ulpt
> --- cut ---
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=COFFIN
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=COFFIN
> # reboot
>
> That's it.

Thank you very much Ross & Warren.  You guided me in the right
direction.  To solve the printing issue I installed apsfilter and
chose the hpij drivers, the printer appeared and I selected it.  I
then configured it and voila it worked :)

I found the following page

http://www.freebsdfoo.com/bsd-print-foo.txt

and it helped me.  I is an old printer my mom got for me in a yard
sale three years ago and thankfully to you guys, with your
suggestions/advice I got it to work with FreeBSD amd64 8.2!

Regards,

Antonio

@Ross,
I might take the advice of compiling the kernel as I am heavily
looking to create a livecd/livedvd of FreeBSD.  I liked freesbie,
installed it port, but don't know how to use it/create it.  I like
Frenzy but can't find the SDK, I will create a new thread on this
later.  Thanks again.