printing to a HP Deskjet 812C printer

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 21:32:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> A Deskjet 812C should be a parallel printer, with device /dev/lpt0.  Are
>> you using a USB to parallel adapter?
>
> Cancel that, an 812C has both parallel and USB.  Make sure only the USB
> cable is connected, I suspect those printers don't have auto port switching.
>  When the printer is connected and powered on, /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/unlpt0
> should appear.

I disconnected the usb cable and reconnected it and now they appear:

quadcore# lpq -a
lp:
Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       0    (standard input)                      17 bytes
2nd    root       1    (standard input)                      89 bytes

quadcore# ls /dev/unlpt0
ls: /dev/unlpt0: No such file or directory
quadcore# ls /dev/ulpt0
ls: /dev/ulpt0: No such file or directory

reconnected it :

quadcore# ls /dev/ulpt0
/dev/ulpt0
quadcore# ls -l /dev/ulpt0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0, 148 Jul 27 16:27 /dev/ulpt0

quadcore# ls -l /dev/unlpt0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0, 149 Jul 27 16:27 /dev/unlpt0

I changed /etc/printcap, and two blank pages came out but blank :(

Thanks,

Antonio