"zpool remove" locks up ZFS under amd64 RELENG_8

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Wed Jul 27 15:25:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, July 27, 2011 1:03 am, Dennis Glatting wrote:

> I attached a SSD as a ZIL to a RAIDz pool, which is a fairly useless thing
> to do but I am testing. If I try to remove the SSD ZIL the zpool command
> does not return and in another window a "zpool status" also doesn't return
> or print anything, typifying a lockup. I also have a SSD attached to the
> pool as a cache.

Not that useless, if the SSD has a faster write time and you are doing
lots of writes to the ZFS pool.  ;)

> iirc# zpool upgrade
> This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.
>
> All pools are formatted using this version.

Ok, so the most obvious reason is out (that ZILs can't be removed under
the version of ZFS that ships with 8.2), but it means you must have a
patched kernel, or be running -CURRENT.  It's possible this is a bug in
the ZFS code.  It might be worth taking this to the CURRENT list.

How are you trying to remove the ZIL?  Are you just pulling the drive or
are you running a 'remove' first?  (Just checking...)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.