Book recommendations (slightly OT)

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Jul 27 08:08:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Mark Moellering <mark at msen.com> wrote:
> I want to automate some tasks, creating directories, file editing, etc.  I
> was going to pick up a book on shell scripting but wanted to ask the list
> if;
> A) I am barking up the wrong tree and should use something else.
> B) If I am headed in the right direction, what is the best book / resource
> to use?

Most automation can be done with shell scripting, but there are
situations where shell won't cut it. Then, you may want to give
Expect a try (hint: combine it with netcat a.k.a. nc and other tools).
If you don't like its TCL syntax, there's a port to Python in
misc/py-pexpect:

http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/

Good luck.

> Thanks in advance