How to deny getting static ip address via pf ?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Tue Jul 26 11:48:00 UTC 2011

On 07/26/2011 12:44 PM, Yavuz Maşlak wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use pf on freebsd as packet filter.
>
> I have a wireless area. The users get to the internet using automatic ip
> from the dhcp server.
> I wish to deny to assign a static ip address by manual.
>
> How can I do that with pf or ipfw or another thing?
>
> thanks

Hi
You cannot deny a client to set a static IP address on the client machine,
except when you have control over the client machine.
You can allow access with pf or ipfw only for the DHCP address range you
give out to clients and for static addresses you may have configured
yourself on some network devices that need access. If your firewall defaults
to deny (default) all other IP addresses are denied, otherwise deny those
addresses.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.